Make your mark

Attending classes is essential to achieving success in your studies, although we understand that sometimes an absence is unavoidable. 

There are many benefits to attending College that will set you up well for the future. These include:

  • Achieving good grades and completing your course
  • Opportunities for further professional development and careers advice
  • Making life-long friends
  • Developing social skills and feeling part of a community
  • Developing core skills in demand by employers
  • Taking part in fun and enriching campus activities

We want you to be all you can be, in College and beyond. We are invested in your future and, in return, we ask that you follow our Student Citizenship Code, part of which is “Be Ready”. This means being prepared for and attending classes.

How do I report an absence?

If you’re feeling unwell or unable to attend College, please email  or call 01656 302 302 before the start of the college day with the following information:

  • Your name
  • Student ID
  • Reason for absence
  • When you expect to be back at College

Absences need to be reported within 2 working days.

Will I still receive my funding if I miss classes?

Good attendance is mandatory for all students who receive government funding to attend college (e.g. Education Maintenance Allowance, Welsh Government Learning Grant, etc). Regular absences will result in your payments being suspended until attendance improves.

Payments will be made for:

  • Sickness – up to 1 week as long as you have notified Student Services. After 1 week a doctor’s note is required. After 2 weeks your absence is classed as long-term sickness and no further payments will be made.
  • Medical appointments – appointment cards need to be shown to Student Services.
  • Other appointments such as Driving Tests, University interviews – evidence should be shown to Student Services.
  • Funeral – you may be absent for the day of the funeral for close family members.

Payments will not be made for holidays, unreported absences, or repeated sickness absences (more than 3 instances of sickness in a term).

What should I do if I’m not enjoying my course?

College is a great place to figure out your next steps. If you aren’t sure if the course you’ve started is the one for you, our Student Services Team is available to discuss different course options with you. You can contact them on

I am finding my course difficult. What should I do?

If you’re struggling with the level of difficulty or workload of your course, please don’t suffer in silence. We recommend you speak with your course tutor in the first instance to see how they can help you. They will then be able to identify further support if needed.

I have carer responsibilities at home. How do I notify the College?

Several of our students have carer responsibilities outside of College and we have a support package to help, including an allowance for starting classes late and finishing early if needed. 
To notify the College of your situation and to learn how we can help, please contact

I’m struggling with transport/finances. Who can I talk to?

Our dedicated Student Services Team is available to help students with a wide range of queries, including transport options and financial advice. To chat to a member of the team about your options, email or visit Student Services on Bridgend and Pencoed Campuses.

I’ve been the subject of anti-social behaviour. Can you help?

If you have been experiencing any form of anti-social behaviour, on or off campus, our Safeguarding Officers are available to support you. Email or pop in to one of the drop in sessions at Bridgend and Pencoed Campuses

I’m struggling with my mental health. What support is available?

If you have been struggling with your mental health and you feel it’s impacting your performance at College, contact Student Wellbeing at who will be on hand to help and discuss the best level of support for you.

A Levels
Access to Higher Education
Access to Higher Education
Adult Basic Education
Agriculture & Countryside Management
Agriculture and Environmental Conservation
Agriculture, Wildlife and Countryside
Animal Care
Art & Design
Art, Design and Creative Media
Art, Design and Creative Media
Automotive Engineering (Light and Heavy Vehicle)
Bridgend College
Building Construction Brickwork
Building Services
Business Administration and Accounting
Care and Childhood Studies
Care and Childhood Studies
Care, Childhood and Landbased Studies
Care, Childhood and Landbased Studies
Carpentry and Joinery
Catering & Hospitality
Community College
Construction and Built Environment / Civil Engineering
Construction Plant Maintenance
Creative Arts, Education, Sport & Public Services
Creative Arts, Education, Sport & Public Services
Customer Service
Digital Technologies
Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Electrical Installation
Facilities Management
Green Skills Courses
Hair & Beauty Therapy
Hair & Beauty Therapy
Health and Social Care
Horticulture / Sports Turf
Independent Living Skills
Independent Living Skills
Information & Office Technology
Information & Office Technology
Leadership and Management
Looking after people
Mechanical Engineering
Motor Vehicle
Motor Vehicle
Online Learning
Painting & Decorating
Part Time Provision
Part Time Provision
Part Time Provision
Penybont 6th Form
Performing Arts
Performing Arts
Public Services
Services to People & Skills
Services to People & Skills
Skills & Partnerships
Skills, Partnerships, Sport, Public Services, Digital Technologies and IT
Social Work
Step Up
Travel and Tourism
Veterinary Nursing
Work Based Learning
Full-time Study
Part-time Study
Adult Learners
Higher Education
Login My Favourites Welsh Language Cymraeg
Link takes you to our LinkedIn page Link takes you to our Instagram page
Link takes you to our LinkedIn page